Thursday, February 20, 2014

Outward Appearance

     I read a story awhile back about a preacher who dressed himself as a homeless man, and went near the "new" church he was getting ready to start pastoring in.  To his surprise he was ridiculed and not really helped that much.  He was amongst "Christians" the ones, who should exhibit love and should help.  After all are we called to love and help everyone and try to let God's love shine through us?  This story did not really surprise me as much as it saddened me. 
   I try and always remind myself and tell my children, we are all one bad choice or uncontrolled circumstance from being in a similar situation.  It is not our job to judge why people are where they are or to make fun of them, but I feel it is our duty to help them in some way.  I know everyone does not have the resources to help them finically, but you can pray for them, or talk to them and just treat them as humans and as equals.  I have seen people mock homeless people and point and just berate and that hurts me.
   That is the beauty of Jesus, he could careless about the outward appearance.  He knows why people are in the situation they are in and he knows the heart and cares about the heart.  He loves us all no matter of economic status.  He wants us all in Heaven and the awesome thing is ANYONE who gives their heart to Jesus will be worshipping in Heaven all together.
     I said before although I am so excited to help on my missions trip, I also feel I need this for selfish reasons. I need to be humbled again.  I have a feeling some of the things I will see will be gut wrenching and I know this will be hard, but it will give me a chance to see "more" to someone than just how they look.  I will get to spend time with people and invest in them.  I am sure if some of these people were on our streets they would be passed by, because they are extremely poor and will look homeless. 
   There is a Christian artist I really like, Lecrae, he posted a picture of a homeless man playing the piano.  I loved the picture.  It was heartwarming and touching.  Everyone has a story and no matter what people deserve to be treated as humans and helped!! They are not gross or mean they are still people and people we are called to love.
  So I ask that you pray for me that my heart continue to be humbled and see past the surface of things and embrace the strengths in all people and not dwell on the superficial part.  Also, pray that I continue on having a servants heart and that I am able to use it for God's glory.

36 days out.....
Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment